…but I think we found the Hellmouth.
In this episode!
Listeners—for this very unusual Buffy, the Vampire Slayer episode, we have a very unusual podcast. For this week’s show, we welcome Just Laurie as our special guest to discuss dream interviewing and dream incubation. IF you like the idea of Salons and dream groups, enjoy the discussion which lasts until 21:56, but the intense Buffy talk begins at 28:36.. We then talk about the nightmares of our main characters.
- Mark provides a list of dream archetypes. Did we miss any? This is one of those episodes that needs a close look
- Katherine says that many experts believe that this is the episode that Xander grows up. What do you think?
- Mark says it is vital that one not accept the dream on its own terms. Don’t comply.
- Laurie says that you must interrogate what terrifies you.
- Mark notices that Whedon is playing with light throughout the episode, and that it is growing darker and darker until Buffy reveals the monster in the end. Did anyone else notice this playing with light?
- Shout outs: To our fan in Germany! Heather Miles! Sheila Strong! Gabriella Sagnes! Becky Clark!
- Mark points out that nightmares only work (in this episode) if others are aware of your discomfort
- Laurie asked where the Hellmouth is in Cleveland, and Katherine said that as one of the podcast episodes we will all go in search of it. Laurie says it has to be done in daylight; Katherine said it would be so much more interesting at night. Who’s with me?!
- Katherine wonders if Buffy Superfans caught the huge foreshadowing for Willow (Shhh. Mark didn’t get it).
- None of us on this podcast are horror fans. How come we love Buffy so much?
Breakthrough Dreaming by Gayle Delaney
The William N. Skirball Writers’ Center at Cuyahoga County Public Library- South Euclid-Lyndhurst Branch
Podcast: Play in new window | Download